Saturday, January 15, 2011

Movies

On DVD
Since the TV has been out of use and it has been school holidays here in New Zealand, I have been treating myself to some DVDs.  It's not something I can do all the time, especially during term time. At our public library here they are just $1.00 to hire for the week.  Here is some of what I have been watching...


As five women and one enigmatic man meet to discuss the works of Jane Austen, they find their love lives playing out in a 21st century version of her novels. Sylvia (Amy Brenneman), is shocked when her husband Daniel (Jimmy Smits), leaves her after 20 plus years and three children. Jocelyn (Maria Bello), her unmarried best friend, distracts herself from her unacknowledged loneliness by breeding dogs. Prudie (Emily Blunt) is a young French teacher, in possession of a worthy husband yet distracted by persistent fantasies about sex with another man. The many times married Bernadette (Kathy Baker) develops a yearning for one more chance at happiness. Beautiful, risk-taking Allegra (Maggie Grace), Sylvia and Daniels lesbian daughter, has quit talking to her lover. And Grigg (Hugh Dancy), a young science fiction fan and computer whiz, seems horribly both out of place and obliviously at ease as the only man to be invited into the book club.

 Those of you who have seen this movie will agree this was a touching scene
 
I really enjoyed this movie, a feel good movie as well as a chick flick.  I also watched...
Based on the best-selling novel, The Other Boleyn Girl is a captivating tale of intrigue, romance and betrayal starring Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson, and Eric Bana. Two sisters, Anne (Portman) and Mary (Johansson), are driven by their ambitious family to seduce the king of England (Bana) in order to advance their position in court. What starts as an opportunity for the girls to increase their family fortune becomes a deadly rivalry to capture the heart of a king to stay alive.A tale of two sisters competing for the same king, The Other Boleyn Girl uses historical facts as window dressing for this work of fiction that is entertaining, if not wholly believable. Anne Boleyn (Natalie Portman) is the doe-eyed vixen ordered by her power-hungry uncle to bewitch King Henry VIII (Eric Bana). Her shy sister Mary (Scarlett Johansson) has always been in Anne’s shadow; Anne is prettier, more accomplished, and desired by many men. So when the King picks Mary–the “other Boleyn girl”–as his mistress, Anne turns on her sister and schemes to become not only the King’s consort, but his new queen. 

I absolutely love English history, anything to do with the middle ages, royalty, society and customs etc.  And I am fascinated by the wives of Henry the eighth and have read extensively on the subject. Mmmmm.... so I was interested to see how this movie panned out. I see it was based on the fictional book of the same name.  All I can say is the acting was superb in parts and the tale gripping. 

So at the library today I picked up the following to watch...

 


 

and.....


Once you realise that Elizabeth was the daughter of Anne Boleyn, it is easy to understand why she succeeded like she did and had such a strong personality.  Anne Boleyn possessed a similar character, which was why Henry the Eighth divorced his then current wife, Catherine of Aragon,  for Anne.  Forget Days Of Our Lives or Young And The Restless, the life and love life of Henry Tudor was fascinating.

Oh, and for Georgia and I to watch together....



At The Movies
I don't very often venture to the movies.  This is for a number of reasons, the cost for one thing, and basically I think there aren't that many good movies being made these days.  However, having said that, I like to go to the movies with my dear friend Elaine.  Elaine and I have a very similar taste in movies, especially good English made movies.  So what do I see coming to the movies soon? this....


Colin Firth is tipped for an Oscar for his role in this movie, which is based on a true story.  Apparently this movie has been in the pipeline for over 30 years.  The Queen Mother at the time said she didn't want the movie made during her life time, so they put it on hold until now. Fascinating.





3 comments:

  1. Oh me too I am going to pay to go to the movies to see The Kings Speech.


    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with The King's Speech! Mum and I are counting down to going to see it too!

    BTW, I love that one of your cats is named Poppy. I have one of those too, only she is black and white. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I appreciate movie reviews. It is hard to choose wisely, the limited time I have for them. I will see if Netflix has these. Thank you for your kind comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...