Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Games we play

Tuesday 26th October 2010

A busy day with homeschool.

On a Tuesday morning Georgia is a horse handler for a local Riding For The Disabled group. It is her job to control horses that are being ridden by distabled teenage riders. She loves her job very much.
Her instructor is full of praise for her calmness and compassion as she goes about her job. Being homeschooled has allowed Georgia much more freedom to pursue her passions.  And an absolute passion for her is her horse and horse riding.  So much so in fact, she plans on a career in the equine industry as a riding instructor.  I am so proud of her at the grand old age of 12, she knows what path in life she will travel.  It is my job to help direct her on this journey.

So on Tuesday mornings we head out to just past the satelite township of Templeton at 9.30, she begins at 10 sharp.  I then go back out at 12pm to pick her up.  I must be honest that this disrupts our Tuesday schooling day, however, Georgia tries very hard to make up her lesson time throughout the rest of the week. And I think everyone should encourage their children to volunteer in some capacity .  At her age she can even undertake qualifications and unit studies which will help her to ultimately become an instructor.  I believe with her very mature outlook, empathy and natural teaching ability she will do very well.  I know I'm very biased, but I can be because I'm her mum!

A resource we use in homeschool is a game called Kiwi Quiz. I want our New Zealand general knowledge lessons to be fun and preferably oral. However, we don't play it according to the rules. So on a Monday  I gather together 20 questions, and proceed to ask those questions, sometimes getting a correct answer, but mostly not.  This is good because it gives us all week to find out more about answers we didn't know.  Even I'm learning heaps.  Topics covered range from history to quotes, art to Maoris.  It seems to cover all the basics.
It's handy to have the New Zealand Encyclopedia on hand as well.

Here are a sample of some questions, see how you go.  Will give answers tomorrow...

Hone Tuwhare is well known for what? golf-rugby-art-poetry
What is the edible larva of a flying beetle, found in decaying wood & regarded as a Maori delicacy?
In what year did NZ first win the Americ's Cup?
What town was once called Kororareka & in 1840 was the largest settlement in NZ?
What do paua derive the colour of their shell from?
In which forest is the world's largest kauri tree?The passing of the New Zealand Ensign Act in 1902 instituted what change to the NZ flag?
Bread rolls for tomorrow's lunches.
Simple fruit loaf from my trusty Edmonds Cookbook.  This recipe is an absolute godsend for me in the kitchen. I try to make it as I'm doing dinner as it is soo quick and basically looks after itself.  The tins can go into the warm oven once dinner is cooked.  I usually double the recipe therefore getting 2 loaves.

Sultana or Raisin Loaf

1 cup sultanas or raisins
1 Tablespoom butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon golden syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 cup boiling water
2 cups baking flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Put sultanas, butter, sugar & salt in a bowl.
Sprinkle baking soda over.
Add water.
When butter has melted sift in flour & baking powder.
Mix quickly.  
Bake in greased 22cm loaf tin at 180 degrees centigrade for 40 mins, or until scewer comes out clean.

Bye for now, Lee-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...